Notifiable Work

Domestic Location

(where electrical work is to be carried out)

Minor Works

(extensions or modifications to circuits)

Major Works

(new circuits)
Bathrooms Yes Yes
Bedrooms No Yes
Bedrooms containing a shower or basin Yes Yes
Overhead heating Yes Yes
Communal area of flats Yes Yes
Computer cabling No No
Conservatories No Yes
Dining rooms No Yes
Extra low voltage lights Yes Yes
Garden lighting Yes Yes
Garden power Yes Yes
Greenhouses Yes Yes
Hallways No Yes
Integrated garages No Yes
Kitchen Yes Yes
Kitchen diners Yes Yes
Landings No Yes
Lounges No Yes
Remote buildings Yes Yes
Remote garages Yes Yes
Remote workshops No Yes
Saunas Yes Yes
Sheds Yes Yes
Shower rooms Yes Yes
Small scale generators Yes Yes
Solar power systems Yes Yes
Stairways No Yes
Studies No Yes
Swimming pools Yes Yes
Telephone cabling No No
TV rooms No Yes
Underfloor heating Yes Yes

How do I notify my electrical work?

The Government recognises two ways of notifying Part P electrical work:

  • Direct notification through Local Authority Building Control - the homeowner must contact Building Control directly. A Building Control Officer inspects the installation and issues a certificate.
  • Self-certification through a tradesman who is qualified and registered with a Part P Competent person schemes These tradesmen are qualified to carry out electrical work in accordance with safety rules and issue you with a certificate of compliance on completion. They will also deal with Building Control on your behalf.

Electrical Competent Person Schemes

  • BSI